Yesterday, I returned to Northwestern University where I received my Master's degree as a guest speaker at a music technology colloquium. The speech went alright, but I wasn't able to show my game mod because their only PC couldn't support it. Last year, I completed an audio-only mod of the Star Trek: Elite Force 2 demo and the entire second half of my presentation was based on playing through the demo and giving a brief post-mortem on it. While the presentation wasn't entirely perfect, I realized, that while I enjoyed my stay at NU when I was there, it is certainly a relief to be out of school. It was kind of fun to be back inside the creaky old music building with leaning staircases, ivy, and cracking paint, but I almost felt trapped, as if my reverie was luring me to wish that I could stay. But a lesson I have learned and learned well is that pleasant memories are best left to be just what they are. The truth is that I don't wish to return to any past times of fond memory, but only to hold onto them for as long I can.
For any curious people, I am a sound designer for a publisher of children's books, toys, and other multimedia products. Yes, I am responsible for the noises that annoy thousands of parents across the country on a daily basis. It's enjoyable work and a welcome change from the usual office drone and blue collar slave positions I've held in the past. I am emphatically thankful to do something so fun and enjoyable and make a living at it as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment