Amy and I have less than a month left before we pack up our lives and move across town into a new house. Well, it's a used house, but it's new to us. With all that's going on, all I seem to be able to think about is getting back to writing music. Maybe my fantasizing is just stress-related. It always seems as though I'm itching to write new music only when I am so busy that I don't even have time to think about it. Prior to February 2004, I was mostly writing music and creating sound effects for other people so that my portfolio would impress someone and I would get a job writing music and creating sound effects. So I finally got a job (and it is indeed most rad) and ever since I've been heaving a metaphorical sigh of relief by not wanting to compose music or deal with sound outside of work. Five months of rest and I'm ready to create music just for me again. In all honesty, I did record two songs for my own pleasure since January, but one was just a throwaway joke track about the movie Robot Jox. The other was a jazz flavored electronic track that I recorded with my Zube Tube and tenor saxophone.
Anyway, I've been listening to Tree Wave, Bit Shifter, Nullsleep, and Printed Circuit, among others for the last few weeks and they're inspiring me to dust off my coding and tracking skills to get some killer old school chip sounds happening. But, I'll just have to wait until after our move in August to get some time for that kind of stuff. Until then, I'll continue to stay inspired by those very cool artists mentioned above.
I am definitely excited about the new house for musical purposes, though. First, my parents have been threatening to haul all of my stuff that's currently stored at their abode to Chicago as soon as we got a house. Now that that threat will be carried out, I'll have my Commodore 64 and Atari VCS back. It'll be like a reunion of old friends. I haven't been able to play on the authentic machines ever since I left home 6 years ago and I'm looking forward to putting both machines through their musical paces. Emulators are cool and all, but there's nothing like using the real thing. Secondly, I don't have to keep quiet on my saxophone like I have to in the apartment. It's always nice to be able to just play without worrying about complaints from the neighbors.
Currently listening to: mmfan316, Modern Control, incredible chip music from Japan.
No comments:
Post a Comment