Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Look At Me, I'm In Tatters! I'm Shattered!

Actually, I'm not. But, I did dump my bike pretty hard yesterday. I was on my way home and approaching a U-turn that I have to make after coasting down a hill. I suppose that I have developed a little game out of attempting this turn at greater and greater speeds, and if I had had a speedometer yesterday, I would be able to tell you the upper limits of that potential today.

My best guess is that I was going between 15 and 20 miles per hour through the turn when my back wheel slipped out from under me to the left. I don't remember anything between that moment and the next when I found myself skidding (skinning?) across the pavement. I stood up and checked myself out for injuries and only two were immediately noticeable. A good amount of skin on my right elbow had been promptly removed and a small chunk was missing from the palm of my left hand.

I walked the bike over to the grass near the road, reset the chain on the appropriate sprocket (it had been dislodged on impact), and rode the rest of the way home wondering if I had broken anything on the bike or myself. I did not take time to further inspect the bike as I had my bleeding arm to attend to. As I cleaned all of my wounds, I gradually discerned that I did not break any bones, maintaining my current record of perfection in that arena. However, I also discovered that I had a lot of road rash covering my right arm and a hefty bruise on the shoulder. Just in case you were wondering, topical grooved cement injuries make one look as if one has been flame-broiled.

The net result of this little incident is a very sore shoulder, sore neck, and lots of leaning to my left side in chairs. I have also learned that I am not, in fact, made of glass. I am actually rather pleased that I can still take a fall without a necessary hospital visit. Eventually, I'll take a more thorough look at the bike, but my initial prediction is that it is fine. My only concern is for the rear derailleur. It sustained some scrapes and I am hoping that the impact did not bend anything.

No comments: