Chicago and most of the area around it got pelted with a snow storm yesterday. From what I shoveled between last night and this morning, it seemed in the neighborhood of four to five inches. Amy told me that it started snowing around 2pm but I didn't notice it until 4pm what with the whole not having any windows nearby thing at work. For some reason, I decided to wait for the late bus, thinking that it would only be 10-15 minutes late so I left my office at 5:15pm. But, as I walked to the bus stop I couldn't help but notice that I was traveling almost as fast as the cars on the road.
I only waited at the bus stop for about 5 minutes when I realized I might get home faster if I started to walk. Trudging through the snow while it was still coming down was fun for about a mile. I kept peering over my shoulder through the white wall of falling snow for any hint of a bus-shaped vehicle but the only thing I saw were trucks. The second mile was hard and my scorn for automobiles rose with every stumble I took over an unseen curb. I was covered in snow and my feet were cold and beginning to get a little damp.
As I approached the third mile, which is also the stop where the bus would have dropped me off had it been even remotely on time, it drove past me. I could have sworn I saw everyone inside laughing at me, illuminated by those sick yellow lights. Dirty lights they were and evil, too! With less than another mile to go, I was beginning to get tired. My mind wandered and I began to imagine myself as a hapless character in some unknown Jack London novel. I wanted to wrap myself in a bear pelt and hide in someone's bushes under the front window just to add to my newly created mythos.
Finally I arrived home, my legs tired from over an hour of walking through the cold and a mild amount of snow. I dropped my bag off in the house, petted Sid for a minute, and then went back out to get a head start on the task of shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. Once I was finished, Amy came home, we had some dinner and promptly did nothing but watch Dark City before retiring for the evening.
No comments:
Post a Comment