Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Quote Unquote

There are two poems I have posted on my bulletin board at work. Both of them were written by two classmates of mine from high school in a creative writing course. This stuff predates the web and anime forum poetry, but it's where I got my first taste of this level of poetic entertainment. The first poem is one of my favorites!


Poetry
Poetry is like a gun
being unloaded on a
target, which is quick
and gets right to the point.

As the bullet hits the target,
a strong emotion towards
that quick little period of time
is shot in a person's head for a long time.


Wow. No kidding! And rhyming time with time: Priceless.


end:
The end of time soon will come,
when will it happen? no one can tell.
but I'm sure when that day will finally arrive,
I'll see you in the firey pits of hell.
I'm sure in our lives we've all done something
that just wasn't right.
like drink, cuss, smoke, or provoke a fight.
I can't wait to see you all,
burning in the firey furnace called hell.
I don't care where I go, I need a tan so hell is swell.
I want to see your faces as you watch each other fry.
I know I'll see you all in hell,
everyone has told a lie.
so sit and ponder this coming day,
when you'll feel the heat greater than 10 million
sun rays.

The misused punctuation combined with an erratic use of capital letters in an off-kilter, arhythmic Hallmark-esque style singularly accentuate the duality of his fragile psyche. On one hand, the author is impassioned enough to wish that everyone burn in hell, yet he himself is so ambivalent about the idea that his attention turns to getting a tan. Genius, I say.

One for the road:

"I meant to be a serious actor with a beard who wore a lot of black and wanted to share his misery with you." --Stehpen Colbert

No comments: