We're all feeling better. Finally! I'm still not back to 100% as my ears still get stuffed up at night and really hurt when air pressure changes. But I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow. I'm trying really hard to work less. Everybody I've talked to tells me I shouldn't be working so much and I agree, but I haven't been able to get far enough ahead to feel comfortable. My dean tried to make me promise not to work this weekend. I told her I couldn't promise anything, but I held up the bargain 50% of the time. I put in a full day yesterday but did not do any work today. I'd almost forgotten what it feels like to relax. By the way, it feels good.
Amy actually had something really interesting input for me regarding the hours I've been putting in recently. One night while lying awake, I asked her why she thought that I feel so compelled to work so much. Her answer was startlingly truthful. She said, "Fear." It hadn't occurred to me but I think she's right. It's fear of not being prepared, fear of appearing incompetent. These are long-time neuroses of mine and I've been trying to deal with them during the past few months, but my new job has put my self-improvement on the back burner. Back to it, I guess.
2 comments:
Glad you're feeling better-- stay relaxed! Easier said than done, right?....
Good on Amy! Take care of yourself. And at the risk of being to spiritual, the Sabbath is still a good thing. Rest is necessary.
Post a Comment