Sunday, November 16, 2008

This Thing Rules!

The Korg DS-10 I ordered finally arrived last week. I've been playing with it intermittently when I get time and I'll say it again: if you have any interest in real music creation and not just playback of pre-made samples as in Jam Sessions, this is the real deal. It's set up with step sequencers and a tracker that can store up to 16 patterns made by you. The reason I like this more than Jam Sessions is the sound synthesis. If I wanted to play a guitar, I'd just play a guitar. But not everybody has access to vintage analog synthesis. There's enough control with the DS-10 that you won't run out of ideas for new sounds any time soon.

I have one song almost finished and another is in the works although I'm not sure I like it. Here's a video to demonstrate some of the flexibility I'm talking about. This guy gets some things wrong. For instance, there's no sine wave available in the either of the synths. There's triangle, sawtooth, pulse, and noise, but no sine. OK, I'm nerding out now. Here's the vid for beginners:





5 comments:

Alise said...

My husband is NOT ALLOWED to read your blog! ;-D

vernicus said...

Hmmm...maybe I do really need a DS. How much does the actual Korg hardware go for? I'm guessing waaaaay too much. :-)

Chuck said...

@vernicus: I think I heard the MS-10 (working) going for about $1.5K on eBay. The $170 investment for the DS-10 (DS and the synth cart) is far more cost effective. And without that bulky hardware! Also, with the DS emulation, you get the step sequencer, KAOSS pad style tech, pattern tracker, part mixer, and effects units. Unless you're a synth purist, The DS version is a far more complete tool.@BigMama: Do I sense a Christmas present coming on?

vernicus said...

I've been really looking forward to getting back to playing my bass once we get to our house, but I've also been thinking about trying to get some synth and production equipment together to do some recording. Got any suggestions for a good place to start? Is it worth dropping a big chunk of change on one of the big music software packages like Pro Tools or is there some economical software out there that covers most of the bases?

Alise said...

No, you sense a wife who can't lose her husband to the work station any more than she already does! LOL!