Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Green Tunes: Episode 8

I was looking for some workout music the other day and came across Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood which I haven't listened to in a long time in any real way. Sure, the title track and Kickstart My Heart have been on the radio many times, but I hadn't listened to the whole album start to finish in many years. It really stands as a testament to the hair metal formula. It's well written, well produced, some filler, some killer, an overall fun experience and no pretensions to anything more. I can't help but be a little self indulgent with this one because it is still a very fun album after these past 20 years and a lot of takes me right back.

1. T.N.T. (Terror 'N Tinseltown) - This is that filler I mentioned. Just a sound piece to lead into Dr. Feelgood. Skip it.

2. Dr. Feelgood - If you were under 30 in 1989, you've probably heard this one. I like the song, but I like some of the others on the album a lot better. Those ones just aren't quite clean enough for the radio play they needed for this to be as big as it was.

3. Slice of Your Pie - If I remember correctly, Warrant was the other band writing songs about pie in the late '80s. While the Warrant track was a fine single regardless how lame the double entendre is, this track is a slick sex romp, typical of most the Crue's output. The blusey riff, doubled on bass, gives the song a really fantastic low end, which as a metaphor, cannot be a happy accident considering the lyrics. This is a great album cut, but they get better.





No comments: