Monday, November 02, 2009

This Again?

I just read this from Friday's Penny Arcade post. It basically puts my exact thoughts on modern PC gaming into very sharp focus. In other words, I agree:

"I have long since decoupled "having an optimal experience" from "enjoying myself," though for many, many years the two were synonymous. As friends left the Windows platform one by one, a trend I've only recently begun to reverse, it became clear to me that fun is pretty much fun, and fun with friends is amplified, and as a personal edict this has served me better than the earlier, more strident one."

In some ways, I miss the days of the PC's dominance of cutting-edge video gaming. There are some things that can only be experienced by gaming on a full-fledged computer and that, to some extent, still holds true albeit to a lesser extent. But one thing that that platform requires is an occasional spirit to tweak and troubleshoot. As I get older, this is something that I find myself less willing to do. Sure, it's always a learning experience, but sometimes I just want to, you know, have fun. I have a wife, a kid, a job, and other hobbies outside of gaming and I no longer have the desire to spend two hours troubleshooting software when I could be having a good time.

Don't get me wrong (Fool Evan). I still enjoy gaming on my computer. There are lots of advantages to which I alluded before. I like all the indie games that are available. The mods are a huge benefit. But, and this is especially true for the latter, those require troubleshooting most of the time. I still want to play PC games, but I am content with playing smaller, more intimate or sometimes just older titles that I'm sure will work. I no longer have the desire to stay at or just behind the crest of the hardware wave. It can be a much kinder, gentler, and frankly, less stressful place to be.

No comments: