Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Toothpick

Between my grandmother and Al Jaffee, I've been heavily influenced to be a snarky bastard. Sometimes I just can't keep my mouth shut. Case in point, yesterday evening. Amy and I went to a short seminar at the local children's hospital on how to deal with our two year old. They even give you a small sack lunch for dinner that includes a cold turkey sandwich. The sandwich isn't great, it's a slice of american cheese on a pile of turkey between two slices of bread, but want do want for a free dinner at the hospital?

Anyway, for whatever reason, they put a single toothpick in each of the sandwiches. One of the helpful hospital attendants greeted me when we showed up and made a very distinct point of telling me to be careful of the toothpick. Being polite, I thanked him for the warning and tried to continue on my way. He persisted. "Sometimes it's kind of hidden so do make sure you take the toothpick out."

"Well, if I forget it's a good thing I'm at a hospital!", I replied jokingly.

He didn't really know how to take that and seemed a little dazed. I really wasn't trying to be mean or snarky, though. He said something about the hospital not being in the business of injuring people and then proceeded to offer to take the toothpick out of my sandwich for me. I turned him down stating that I could probably handle the toothpick on my own. It was one of the more surreal moments I've experienced recently.

1 comment:

Alise said...

I always wonder about people who don't get snarky humor. I admit, I absolutely have a litmus test for friendship that includes understanding Seinfeld or Douglas Adams is some of the funniest stuff ever produced.