I've never written a fan letter before so this feels a little odd. Forgive me if I don't gush correctly.
I just finished watching Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage and I realized that I'm now an old second generation fan. Was I asleep when the third generation came along? Has it been that long? I guess it has. As Rush, your music has gotten me through. Through what? Well, just through. Through high school. Through college. It's inspired me to work toward my dreams. And when my dreams were (are) crushed and abandoned, you somehow make me want to pick them back up again. Why do you exist to torment me so?
Even if I know your names, I have no idea who you are nor should I. But somehow, what you've done, the notes and words that you've written and recorded somehow make sense to me. I see pieces of myself in what you make and it inspires me to make my own pieces. One thing that was made clear in the documentary was that Rush has endured. But it's not an endurance that tires and grows weary despite moving forward. Rush's endurance adapts, it changes and emerges once again as a different beast without spending an eternity looking backward.
Let's get one thing clear. You are clearly my favorite rock band. Ever. There, it's done. With that out of the way, I can get to the weird, awkward stuff. I'm currently going through one of the most difficult periods of my short life and there aren't too many things apart from my family that make me want to keep going. But I sat there watching you guys on the screen, knowing that you've come through worse and were able to pick up and keep going. It made me feel like I could do that, too.
Maybe I can. Thanks for making me think I should keep trying. I've quoted this one before.
Though we might have precious little
It's still precious
I like that song about this wonderful world
It's got a sunny point of view
And sometimes I feel it's true
At least for a few of us
I like that world, it makes a wonderful song
But there's a darker point of view
But sadly just as true
For so many among us
Though we might have precious little
It's still precious
In the sweetest child there's a vicious streak
In the strongest man there's a child so weak
In the whole wide world there's no magic place
So you might as well rise put on your bravest face
I like that show where they solve all the murders
An heroic point of view
It's got justice and vengeance too
At least so the story goes
I like that story, makes a satisfying case
But there's a messy point of view
That's sadly just as true
For so many among us
In the softest voice there's an acid tongue
In the oldest eyes there's a soul so young
In the shakiest will there's a core of steel
On the smoothest ride there's a squeaky wheel
Though we might have precious little
It's still precious
1 comment:
Fantastic lyric. I particularly like the precious little line.
I'm sorry to hear that you're in a bad place right now, but I love that we can draw inspiration from so many different places. It's always good to be reminded that we're not alone and wherever you find that sense of community, it's good.
Take care friend!
Post a Comment