Monday, May 09, 2005

Carnivorous Squirrel

It was too hot in the bedroom. As I got out of bed to shut the window, I heard a fluttering just outside. It was a bird, quickly flapping its wings around a nest that had been built in a gutter that ran just over the top of the window on the outside of the house. But, I needed to get a closer look. So, instead of shutting the window, I opened it further. Leaning backwards, I edged my head and upper body outside. I seated myself on the windowsill and continued to lean backwards to get a better view of the situation.

By this time, the fluttering and the bird were gone. But because of my contorted position as I hung out of the window, my face was very close to the nest. I opened my eyes and sitting in the nest was a squirrel. He looked at me quizzically as he held something to his mouth and nibbled at it. As I sat frozen, staring at the squirrel, I realized that he was eating the eggs from the nest. He picked up another egg and bit into it. His teeth punctured the shell and I heard a crunch and a small squish as the albumen that surrounded the developing bird embryo seeped from the corners of his mouth.

As the squirrel continued to chew, I could see blood and small chunks of meat in his teeth. His bloodlust was frenzied further as he reacted to my horror and his teeth began to chatter, almost in laughter. As the squirrel revelled in his atrocity, he squeezed the egg tightly while he gleefully chittered, crushing the husk that was left between his paws as the bloody albumen splashed to the sides of the nest.

No comments: