It's officially official: I have been keeping this blog for a year. Mostly mundane events of my life from the past year are parked on the web, gathering web dust. I picture a pixelated book on a bitmapped shelf, small 1's and 0's floating in the air, illuminated by digital sunlight, gathering in piles. I can grab the book, blow a puff of air across the cover, and watch as a cloud of numbers explodes and settles easily on the floor.
So, now that I successfully exhausted that shallow metaphor, I can get back to copying down my thoughts. Amy's grandfather is going into the hospital again today, almost 12 years having past since his last major operation. The doctors recently found that 100% of the carotid artery on his left side is blocked (on purpose, due to the botched operation of 1993) and now 90% of the carotid artery on his right side is blocked as well. Today, they will be opening him once again to put something in the artery to clear the blockage as well as keep it open. They say that there is only a 3% chance of the current blockage escaping and causing a stroke.
The numbers are, indeed, clear. As uncomfortable as the idea is to everyone in the family in light of the previous medical debacle, the risk certainly outweighs the inevitable outcome if the procedure is not carried out. We're hoping to get a good phone call tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment