Thursday, August 25, 2005

Plateau

This can't last forever.

For the past eighteen months, I'd say that I was a relatively content person. Apart from the usual human materialistic bents, I haven't really longed for anything. One might say that I haven't truly pined for some time. At one point in my life, I wanted nothing more than to be with Amy. We've been married now for over 6 years. At another point, I wanted a job that didn't make me want to vomit with stress every morning. I have that now, too, and it pays pretty well to boot.

So between my married life and my career, there's really nothing I have to complain about? Well, no, not really! Even the little things are pretty cool. I can check out art films any time I feel like it. If I want to hear live music, I've got more choices than I care to explore. And the little things get even smaller. I get to ride my bike to work and it only takes me 20 minutes to get there. Other people at work drive over an hour from home. It really makes me appreciate my relatively relaxing (and healthy) commute.

And the food! I have friends from diverse cultures who invite me to partake of their home-cooked heritage every now and then. I mean, how cool is having home-cooked Indian food once in a while? I get to try new food all the time. Living in an urban area offers lots of niche choices that one doesn't find just anywhere. I'm excited about trying a nearby Korean barbeque and, from what I've been told, a fantastic sushi place with some friends soon.

Please trust me that this isn't braggadocio because in the back of my mind, I'm always wondering what the next disaster will be. After all, as I said before, this can't last forever. I've always been a rather type-A, pessimistic person so I can't help it, but I do believe that I'm taking the time to appreciate what I have. Right? In a way, I feel justified, though. It feels like I've been climbing a mountain since I was 18 and now, 12 years later, I've reached another pleasant plateau. It will be relaxing to hang out here for a bit, to say the least.

No comments: