I haven't missed a full month without a post yet and I'm not going to let this month be the first time that happens. I've been really busy lately with work as I've taken on a freelance position editing some voice files. I've put in an additional 25 hours or so of work per week which leaves much less time for blogging my nonsense here. However, the gig pays decently at about 80 cents per file with the potential to get an additional 20 cents per file for every file completed at the end of the project.
This extra work has provided me with the extra income to finally get the MacBook that I had been admiring. It's really a Christmas present for both Amy and myself supplemented by the addition of a wireless router so that Amy can have a connection to the Internet if I'm on the PC. She's usually frustrated every other Thursday when Evan and I have our semi-weekly game nights and she can't get on the web. So, now that I've set things up, she can sit in the living room and pay bills online or check her email while I'm slaying mighty demons and picking up that phat lootz they drop. I have to admit that I'm pretty enamored with the laptop/wireless network, too. It's a lot more comfortable to write this post from the comfort of our big chair in the living room with a warm kitty beside me than from my desktop PC upstairs.
Finally, I also picked up an Mbox 2 so that I can have Pro Tools for the laptop. I've used Pro Tools almost exclusively for the past three years and I've become very adept at getting work done in that environment so I needed something to speed up my time on the freelance work I've been doing. Sound Forge does the job, but I can really fly in Pro Tools. When the files are short an clean I can hit between 90 and 100 per hour which is a pretty good clip. I really have to be in the zone to get those numbers though. I'm pleased when I can keep my speed between 50 and 60 files per hour.
No comments:
Post a Comment