I've been awake since 4am with the dry heaves. I'm almost 32 years old and until now I've never experienced the feeling of vomiting absolutely nothing. If you still don't know what that feels like, it hurts. Bad. My esophagus feels like I swallowed a drywall screw. I feel somewhat OK now, but I'm really tired. I haven't had a good night's sleep in three days.
Despite not feeling too well yesterday (I felt alternately OK and then tired and nauseous all day), we had Claudiu and Autumn over for some chatting and a game of Settlers of Catan. It was the first Settlers game I've ever won. We hadn't seen Clau and Autumn for a few months so it was good to catch up. Now that we've done so, we've proposed a monthly game night which I anticipate just as much as my weekly role playing group and semi-weekly computer gaming sessions.
I'm starting to feel a little like my folks when they have their card parties, but I think they might still be disappointed to know that I have a slight aversion to card games. They used to try to teach me Pinochle and for whatever reason, I just couldn't stay focused on the cards. Even when we play card games that I enjoy like Hearts or Cincinnati (which is apparently known to the rest of the world by another name because I can't find a reference to it anywhere on the web), I can only play a couple of games before I start to get bored. My theory about this behavior is that I like a little bit of narrative (even the little bit that is attached to Settlers or Monopoly) with my games which would certainly explain my greater attraction to video games and role playing games. Colorful doodads to play with and dice to roll are also part of the attraction, I think.
Anyway, I've been busy this week with my freelance work taking a lot of my spare time. Speaking of which, I feel better about my career choice than I did in my last post. I was just really disappointed that I didn't see my whole name (if the ambiguous Chuck was indeed referring to me) in the credits despite the fact that I played the game for about 30 minutes and didn't think it was all that great. It's the only thing I've worked on that I might have had my name attached to so I could point to it and say, "I helped with this." I still wonder about my abilities, but the reality is that I haven't tried to find any other jobs for the last three years since I'm still relatively pleased with my current position so perhaps it will be easier with something on my resume instead of nothing. Hope springs eternal, I guess.
No comments:
Post a Comment