I went to see a pre-screening of Transformers colon The Movie last night. Overall, if you're in the mood for two solid hours of mindless entertainment, you will not be disappointed. There are plenty of cheeseball antics and silly one-liners, but the action sequences really shine, some of which are quite long, and there were a couple of geniunely funny moments. In my opinion, the best scene in the movie is in the first fifteen minutes when one of the evil robots attacks an American foreign military base. Considering it now, the quality of that scene was probably intentional if for no other reason than to hook the audience in for the remaining hour and forty-five minutes.
So I'm giving the movie a thumbs up, yes, but I've never been obsessed with Transformers. Even when I was in the prime target demographic for Transformers (tee em) toys some ahem hem years ago, I was never, shall we say, aware of any canon or continuity in their backstories. To me, they were just toys that changed from one thing into another, more of a puzzle for me to figure out rather than miniature mechwarriors with motivations. That being said, niggling problems such as Optimus Prime not being the same color that he was in 1983 are of no importance to me and I will leave those particular incongruities to be torn to shreds by ravenous internet hyenas.
Anyhow, seeing that Transformers is most definitely a summer blockbuster, if you're considering seeing it, definitely consider actually seeing it in a theater rather than renting it. The marketing is probably geared young (I myself have made sounds for two books in support of the movie), so as a heads up, if you have kids, as some of my newer readers do, and are wondering how hard the 13 in PG-13 is on this one, I can say that it's pretty hard unless of course you won't mind having a few conversations that you might not be prepared for and it could be too scary for any pre-teens and younger.
2 comments:
One of my co-workers has been bringing in a different Transformers toy every day to his cube. Watching all of these grown men passing these toys around is quite entertaining!
Jason went to see a midnight showing on the release day and definitely enjoyed it, though he too said that it was a pretty 13 PG-13. I think the director (?) said that he wanted to make an "edgy family movie." What the heck does THAT mean???Either way, a big, loud movie is what the summer is all about!
Post a Comment