Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Inevitable

It was inevitable. Over the weekend, Nicholas caught the cold that both Amy and I have had a total of three times. He began to get fussy on Sunday and by Monday, his left eye had begun to produce goopy yellow phlegm as was his nose. I woke up late that night to the sound of his struggling to breathe. So Amy took yesterday off of work and set up an appointment for him with a new pediatrician. They prescribed some eye drops for his eye and acetaminophen for his general cold and fever symptoms. He's been pretty cranky for the past two days, wanting to be held or rocked most of the time, and he only sleeps for two to three hours at a time. His schedule is gone, understandably.

For Amy and I, it's been rough. We don't like to see him so miserable. At the same time, we've been given a crash course in the rules and regulations of taking unscheduled time off from work. Today, it was my turn. I am caring for Nick today. Hopefully tomorrow his eyes will be better and his fever will have broken so he will be able to return to day care. I'm afraid we just can't afford to pay for a house in Chicago and an apartment near Omaha and day care services we are not using. I have to sing this song:





3 comments:

mswewh said...

That really sucks having to pay for daycare and not be able to use it. We scheduled the girls to go to preschool on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays just so they would not miss as much school for holidays. I hate to think that I am paying all that money for the girls to have holidays.I would also like to take the girls to Disney World this winter, but they have off between christmas and new year and I know it is going to be crazy busy then. I really don't like to take them out of school after that when we are paying for it but the crowds at Disney will be smaller. What is Amy doing job wise? Is she enjoying it?Hope everyone gets well and stays well!

Jody said...

Unfortunately, subsequent colds do not make it any easier.Baby Vicks is your friend. And a cold mist humidifier.Hugs to all, hope you're all better soon!

Chuck said...

Amy has found a job working with the same population that she was with in Chicago. I think she's enjoying it... it's hard to say. Everyone is pretty sick right now.Jody, do you have a blog? Since your profile is private I can't get through to it from there.