Saturday, October 11, 2008

Just Sad

I am rather fiercely apolitical. While I believe that most of the people who run our country do have our best interests at heart despite which side of our myopic, two-party coin they tend to agree, the system itself is so dirtied by corporate interests and money that legal actions that might truly initiate necessary radical changes rarely tend to occur.

That being said, I am disgustingly entertained by the recent abhorrent behavior of rally attendees for the Republican presidential nominee. As the Democratic nominee begins to show some strength and our wasp brethren have their toes held to the fire, their true nature is showing. The ignorant comments are telling. Calling out that the Democratic nominee is an Arab or a Muslim, a complete falsehood, is shameful enough in that it continues plant the idea in the heads of the ignorant and stupid. But the real shame should be in the reason why the comment is being uttered in the first place. What if Obama was of Arab decent? What if he were Muslim?

Many conservatives choose their party based on closely held religious beliefs and if these are the people catcalling for things like Obama's death, their hypocrisy astounds. Christianity as it is practiced in America has come to mean fear and isolationism, the active rejection of people or ideas with which its practitioners tend to disagree. While that rejection is not necessarily against the tenets of the faith, the complete lack of respect, tolerance, and dare I say love for any people who might disagree with them is a telling litmus of exactly what impression the religion gives non- and ex-practitioners: selfish, fearful, and ignorant.

I know plenty of faithful Christians and am completely aware that these behaviors do not reflect the actions and beliefs of all of them. However, the palpable fear and ignorance of the others now on public display, their comments putting the ugly face of racism on parade and hate once again acting as the language of the day, is certainly no great advertisement for the conservative party or its Christian adherents. If this is what being faithful means, I respectfully decline.

1 comment:

JuJu's Place said...

Well said my friend!