Saturday, May 02, 2009

Back to the Blog

I haven't written much lately mostly due to my own preoccupations with a couple of new games and Facebook not to mention being pretty busy wrapping up the end of the spring semester. Facebook is OK for quick communication but I miss taking some time now and again to gather my thoughts, reflect, and write something a little less erratic.

I got pretty addicted to the Facebook application Bejeweled Blitz for a while there. It was fun to beat high scores and have a little healthy competition from some good friends, but one thing always bothered me about the game: the luck factor. You could play fantastically, finding lots of good matches in quick succession and only score in the 30K range and then have an equally good game the next round, scoring well into the 100K range simply based on the random gem drops. After climbing to the top of the heap twice, I simply can't bear to play it that much anymore.

I've also been playing Bioshock. It has some great atmosphere and I can definitely see the framework of the System Shock series operating under some of the basic mechanics of the game. But honestly, I'm feeling so very done with these kinds of games. There's really nothing new there. Shoot scary zombie-esque creatures and uncover a mystery, the pieces of which are parceled out in a very scripted and linear way.

Anyway, now that summer is almost upon me, I hope to be able to spend a bit more time in reflective journaling than I have in recent weeks. Hold on, though, I have to twitter... (I don't twitter.)

No comments: