Sunday, January 16, 2011

Another Facebook Faux Pas?

Just search for this subject and you're going to hit a bunch of funny and perhaps stinging reads.   I know I've been guilty of a few of them on occasion.  The first article in that query link refers directly to me and warns others to not become my friend because of my musical ambitions.  OK, so I want you to listen to my music, how can I help it?

My personal opinion that most things that are considered faux pas are really just people with good intentions.  But I can't seem to wrap my head around this last event that occurred recently.  One of my online friends decided that he would prefer to keep personal and business contacts completely separated, a completely understandable desire.  But instead of using the lists feature to block certain content to certain people, or even creating a second profile, this person decided to create a personal page, something that a user "like"-s, such as an artist's or product's page.

I didn't follow along with this request.  I mean, I saw it as totally one-sided.  I "like" you and can follow all your updates but you can't and don't do the same with me.  That isn't the point, I don't think.  In the end, I think I saw this as just a slightly gentler way of saying, "Look, I don't want to be your friend here anymore."  But as with other gaffs, sometimes I think it still might just be more prudent to silently delete me if you don't want my online company.  Heck, I might never even notice that you did it if you're a quiet Facebooker.  Really, all of my attention to this seems kind of silly, but I think it's interesting how personal interactions have been molded and broken in the digital world.  We are, after all, human beings on the other side of our silly avatar pictures.

No comments: