Friday, June 02, 2006

Little Dutch Boy

When it rains, it pours. Indeed, it pours right into our house apparently. Yesterday, I was in the laundry room and storage area of our basement in order to retrieve some long buried item and while I was looking for it, I noticed water on the floor. I moved the items that were nearest the water trying to determine its source. After moving nearly everything nearby, the source was still not clear, but as I was on my hands and knees drying the water with a rag, my hand rested on one particular tile. A couple of air bubbles rose up around the corner through the water. So, obviously, there's some ground water that's either not making it to our secondary sump tank or the pump on that tank has failed. At least that's the best I can deduce. I'm crossing my fingers for the latter. We're hoping to have someone out to the house to look at things on Monday to give us a better diagnosis of the problem. Now all we need are some hefty hospital bills to top off the spending spree and the cycle will be complete.

The kitchen is coming along, although not exactly as we had expected, which I am told is to be expected. (Meta-expectations.) The electricians arrived as planned on Wednesday afternoon. Surprisingly, they were able to complete everything they could have possibly done in one evening. They pulled five new circuits, installed whips for the undercabinet lighting, and installed a new thirty switch panel all before 10pm. They had originally estimated that they would be done sometime today. As events unfolded, I'm glad that we had the extra couple of days to play with because what Amy and I didn't realize was that they were going to be running hard conduit, not just the flexible whips, from the new panel. That made for much larger holes in the walls than I expected.

Since the electricians aren't able to put the walls back together for us, we've had to hire someone quickly to come in today and Monday to patch everything back up. We'll have to wait to paint it, though, because I'd rather stick to the schedule and have the cabinets installed so we don't have to push absolutely everything back, such as the countertop measure and installation, because that alone will take a couple of weeks. We may be able to paint it before the cabinets are mounted, but we would have to do it on Monday. Also, as a reminder to myself, we have to purchase the undercabinet lighting units this weekend. Fun.

No comments: