Friday, September 08, 2006

Attacking the Darkness

It appears I spoke too soon about that Dungeons and Dragons campaign. But before I get to the pending campaign, I have to explain how we got there. After a couple of weeks playing HeroClix, we've moved to playing the D&D Miniatures game, which is almost an exact replica of HeroClix except that each figure's statistics are stored on a card instead of on a dial in the base. After one session, I think I have a good deal of the basic rules learned, which is a major departure from HeroClix. Because of the easier flow of play, I think we've found our game (as Jordan has been wont to say).

So, because we're now playing a combat-focused version of D&D, our old interests in the pen and paper version of the game proper have rekindled. Before I even played the first miniatures session this past Wednesday, Jordan and I were already talking about trying out the role playing game.

I'm kind of excited to see how far we can take this. I don't think anyone wants to have any marathon sessions anytime soon because none of us have that kind of time. But, speaking for myself, I'm more excited about playing D&D again than any of the video games that I've been trying to play lately except for Brain Age which, if I actually owned the thing, would have me pretty hooked. Fortunately, that game gets to stay with my parents. Until I pick up my own DS of course.

No comments: