Amy and I were visiting our childhood home this past Labor Day Weekend for her brother's wedding ceremony. Despite a slightly rocky rehearsal, the ceremony went quite well. Mike and Pam are now enjoying the Caribbean sun from the deck of a ship most likely somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico. Congratulations to the new couple!
While we were visiting, my mother recommeded that Amy and I take a walk on a newly paved bike trail that wound through the trees just behind some houses in my old neighborhood. As we walked the path, I was astounded by how closely it followed the motorcycle paths that had been so well travelled by my friends and I when we were kids. A good number of kids in my neighborhood, myself included, had small off-road motorcycles in the mid '80s that we would use to get around town. We would ride through fields and forested areas to avoid the roads, not to mention it was much more fun. Eventually, newly constructed homes eliminated our motorized access to the paths, but by then we had our drivers' licenses and had no need for the dirt bikes anymore. It was really fun to be able to walk the trails that I had driven countless times over 20 years ago and I had to laugh when I thought about how easy it must have been to find a good route for the bike path because a bunch of 12 year old kids had driven it bare such a long time ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment