I wish there was something I could do to help Amy when she's feeding Nick. She's frustrated lately because he'll cry up a storm, rooting and searching until she lets him latch on, and then fall headlong into dreamland, weakly suckling a couple of times every five to ten minutes before stopping completely. When she finally gives up, he wakes up and starts all over again. She's read every bit of literature we have on the subject, frustratingly much of it contradictory, which in the end offers only more questions. I don't blame her for being frustrated at all. I can only hope that she stumbles upon the techniques that work the best.
I also keep having to remind her to sleep. She's always been a very determined, goal-oriented person, someone who pushes through and does any work that needs to be done in spite of her moods or feelings, but when she does that now, everybody is miserable. She's unhappy, Nick is unhappy, and I'm unhappy only because she's so tired that her emotions take over. She'll cry at anything and berate her abilities until there's no consoling her. This is all averted, however, if she takes some time during the day to sleep, but like I said, given her personality, it's a difficult aspect of herself to change. And Amy, if you're reading this, take a nap!
2 comments:
Our prayers are with you guys! I remember this all too well.It's not just the sleep deprivation causing the emotions right now, either. The hormone change is so drastic, it's hard to (a) keep priorities straight and (b) not feel like you're having a constant breakdown.Don't give up--I gave up nursing far too easily. If the hospital where you delivered has lactation consultants, call them. Ours were very helpful, and actually offered to come to the house to help a couple of times.And Amy, if you're reading this, GET SOME SLEEP. LOL Seriously, that's the best way to be caring for the little guy right now is to get rest whenever possible. Everything else will be there later. I didn't follow this advice with Andrew, either, and I'm telling you it's absolutely the truth.*hugs* Hang in there!
Hi, Wendy here Vern sent me your link. I too had this problem breastfeeding (among many others). I was told to make the baby cold by undressing them while they nurse, then they don't get too comfortable and fall asleep. I remember taking the blankets off of the girls when I nursed, but I don't specifically remember how well it worked. I also remember tickling their toes while they nursed - again I don't remember how well it worked. I know it has only been 2.5 years since then, but it seems like forever ago now. Tell Amy to tell her brain, "it will be OK" if the laundry doesn't get done(that is why your friends gave you lots of clothes), if the dishes don't get clean (that's what paper products are for), etc. I mean, she needs to literally think it will be OK if she sleeps and doesn't do anything else. I know you know this, but I am going to say it anyway - she will be doing the best thing for herself, and the baby if she can get some sleep. Sleep deprivation in my opinion is the single biggest challenge when dealing with babies, which I am sure you know by now (that is the main reason we are done having anymore.) One last thing - I have tried to tell myself often, especially when I am frustrated and wouldn't mind putting my children out to the curb, to enjoy every minute because it will be gone some day.
Post a Comment