Friday, January 16, 2009

stopstopstopstopstoppleasestop

We are at the end of our rope with Nicholas. Nobody has had a full night's sleep in weeks. He wakes up every night, sometimes multiple times, between 1am and 5am. We rock him, pat him, walk him, everything we can do, but as soon as we put him back down, he cries. This process takes hours and by 6am we need to get up and start our day. This is just about the time he's worn himself out. What really cheeses me is that I had him in such a great pattern last summer, sleeping through the night consistently by five months, but daycare has utterly destroyed it by letting him sleep whenever he wants and for however long he wants. We don't have the energy to put up with Ferber right now but even if we did neither of us feel comfortable with hours of crying in our paper-thin apartment.

The next non-parent who complains about sleep to me is losing their teeth.

2 comments:

Alise said...

I'm so sorry -- I know how frustrating it can be. My third was a terrible sleeper and there were some dark nights at 2am when I understood the whole idea of shaken baby syndrome. I wish I had some kind of advice -- we just ended up doing the family bed to avoid hours of sleeplessness. But even with that, we had some kind of predictability because they had a regular schedule during the day. If his daycare provider isn't doing that, it's probably going to be difficult to get him into a night routine as well.You have my sympathies. I hope you find something to work for you soon!

Jeff Mikels said...

Hey you two!I miss you all terribly, and would like to offer my support for you. Jen and I used a modified Ferber to help Charlie when he was an infant, and it worked well for him (I'll tell you if you want), but it was much less effective for Katie! We have found two techniques to work very effectively... but you'll have to email/facebook or call me to get them if you want them!!!!Anyway, stay strong you two. God is good even when times are rough.