One night while Amy and I were home for Christmas at my parents' house, I couldn't sleep (which seems to be a theme with me). Not wanting to disturb Amy, I chose to spend some time sifting through stuff in my old room. My room had been turned into a storage room quite a while ago and I spied some old photographs that I had taken in a photography class about ten years ago. Some of them were just awful, but there were a handful that I still liked after a decade and I brought those home with us.
Amy bought some simple but elegant frames for them and I spent time yesterday cutting the museum-sized mounting boards to fit the smaller frames. I'm happy with the way they turned out although I wish I had cut the prints at more exact angles when I applied them to the boards a decade ago. I must say that having my own art hanging in the house is something I have never experienced before. I'm quite proud of those photographs and I'm happy to have a chance to display my work.
I can't do that with music at all. With music, I'd have to persuade anyone who comes over to spend five minutes pretending to like what I've written while we sit staring at each other in silence. This is not to say that I'd rather be a visual artist. It's just that visual art is more convenient as a conversation piece. You can look at it and use your mouth at the same time which really isn't possible with music.
No comments:
Post a Comment