Saturday, February 10, 2007

Ohio River Working Class

I was just listening to a song called Way Down Watson by Son Volt and it reminded me of the times I spent driving up and down Routes 60 and 65 when I used to install cable modems. Despite being one of the darker periods in my life, I will never forget those months in the fall when I would look across the river from whichever side I was on to see the trees exploding with color. I had made a mix tape that contained a lot of slow, rather depressing music like the song previously mentioned that, with the sight of the colorful trees in the golden September sun would keep me calm when I would get frustrated with a rude customer.

Baden and Ambridge and Aliquippa being depressed manufacturing towns all seemed so sad at times but I always found it comforting to know that I probably wouldn't have to put up with any millionaire jackasses when I was working in those places. They were hard-working, honest people like me and didn't blow a fuse when things didn't always go their way. Nice people were always more abundant in the poorer areas than the golf course communities. Of course, this isn't to say that I didn't meet nice people who had a lot of money or poor people who behaved badly, but it was more often the other way around. Sorry, my prejudice is my own responsibility.

Ultimately, I'm glad I went through those times. I was unhappy, no doubt. Even now, just thinking about Pittsburgh makes me feel a little sad. But going through all of that taught me about how to be more self-reliant, that sometimes I just had to do something even though I abhorred it because if I didn't, I couldn't eat or have a heated house. It also helped me to set my sights on the goal of my career and although I missed the bullseye slightly, I still hit the target in a good spot.

No comments: